Alan E. Kassan
Alan E. Kassan experience includes more than 30 years of representing plaintiffs who have had insurance benefits denied. He has experience acting as a Judge Pro Tem, has been a volunteer mediator, and has also been actively involved with several professional and non-for-profit Boards and Associations for the past several years. He is currently serving as the President of the San Fernando Valley Bar Association. Mr. Kassan has been chosen for many years running as a “Super Lawyer.” Super Lawyers is a rating/ranking service of successful attorneys that include over 70 areas of practice who have accomplished a high-degree of peer recognition and achievement in their professional career. The selection criteria emcompasses independent research, peer nomination, and peer evaluation.
For more than a decade, Alan’s law practice has focused on helping people recover their health-related insurance benefits. This includes benefits for life insurance, long term care insurance, long term disability insurance, and health insurance claims when those benefits have been wrongfully denied. In most instances, these benefits are employer provided and thus governed by the Federal laws of ERISA. Individual claims are governed by state laws, and are subject to the remedies for insurance bad faith, including the recovery of punitive damages. Alan has vast experience in both of these areas of law.
Alan is a frequent speaker in the areas of law he practices and among many others, has made presentations to the following groups: The Los Angeles Home Health Council, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, the California Association of Health Care Services at Home; the National Association for Home Care and Hospice; Western Region Geriatric Care Managers; California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform; Private Duty Home Care Association, North Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Alan was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley. In addition to being a lawyer, he is an avid outdoorsman and accomplished landscape photographer.
- State Bar of California, 1983
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Eastern District of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- Juris Doctor, University of San Diego, Law Review
- Bachelor of Arts, Experimental Psychology, University of California Santa Barbara
- President, San Fernando Valley Bar Association, 2017-2018
- Trustee, Valley Community Legal Foundation, 2017-2018
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles Bar Asssociation
- Super Lawyer
- Jahn-Derian v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Co., 2016 WL 1355625 (C.D. Cal. 2016)
- Lat v. Soriano, Court of Appeal, Second District, Division 1, California 2015 WL 7423590 (2015)
- Mondolo v. Unum Life Ins. Co. of America, United States District Court, 2013 WL 179711 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Gottlieb v. Conseco Senior Health Insurance Company, 2013 WL 12125742 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Gottlieb v. Conseco Sr. Health Ins. Co., 612 Fed.Appx. 468, 2015 WL 4747261 (9th Cir. 2011)
- Patterson v. Reliance Standard Life Ins. Co., 986 F.Supp.2d 1140, 2013 WL 6328832 (C.D. Cal. 2013)
- Velikanov v. Union Sec. Ins. Co., 2009 626 F.Supp.2d 1039, 2009 WL 1674766 (C.D. Cal. 2009)
- Casey v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., 2008 WL 538486 (C.D. Cal. 2008)